Are you experiencing consistent pain either during or after your run? Perhaps you’ve had to hang up your running shoes altogether or stop competing at the level you once did.
Whether you run for leisure, fitness or take part in long distance and endurance events, running injuries require a specialised approach. It’s not just about treating the injury but looking at the causes behind it so that with the correct advice and training plan you can achieve your running goals not matter what they are.
At Align Body Clinic we understand that the three most common reasons that runners experience injury are training errors (doing too much too soon), previous unresolved injuries, or having recently started running. To help with these issues we operate a specialist running injury clinic in which we can help you relieve pain as well as provide advice and support on improving your overall running performance, improving muscle strength and endurance, and help you to create the right training regime.
Our running injury clinic is run by our expert running injury osteopath Jay Ruddock, and features an initial consulation that includes;
- detailed history of your injury in context of your training history
- a detailed analysis of your current training programme and it’s relevance to your injury
- a full biomechanical assessment specific to runners including strength and endurance testing of major muscle groups used for running.
- an assessment of hip/pelvic stability that is crucial to protect against injury when running.
- an explanation of what is causing the injury and how to resolve it.
- a treatment programme tailored to your specific goal, either the ability to run for leisure or a specific event such as a marathon.
- hands on treatment to help relieve symptoms on the day.
- carefully prescribed strength and flexibility exercises to improve running performance and reduce injury
- advice on how to return to running after an injury (how much and how soon)
Once we have produced a plan on how to help you achieve your goals then we schedule treatments at agreed intervals to help ensure that you are meeting your running targets.
At Align our focus in on providing expert, up to date care to help you relieve pain and achieve the most active life possible. Here are just a few of the ways we do this;
- we support your recovery, tailoring your treatment to your goals and a pace that works for you
- we combine exercise and hands on treatment giving you control over your recovery
- we have a running injury specialist as part of our team of qualified osteopaths
- our treatment is clinically based, practical and delivers tangible results
- we are continually researching new methods of treatment and where appropriate adapting our practices
- we have a suite of exercise resources and advice sheets which you can easily download and use from home.
Jay Ruddock is our running injury expert osteopath. He has been helping people get rid of injury and back on the road whether they want to run for exercise or they want to push the limits of their endurance in long distance challenges.
His experience is that nearly everyone can achieve their running goals as long as they have the correct advice and training plan in place, and that addressing areas that could be improved in people’s running style, their muscular strength and endurance, and their training habits can result in dramatically improved performance.
Jay is a keen runner himself and has developed his treatments as a result of solving his own running injury problems, leading him to complete events including several mountain marathons, off road ultra-marathons, and the inaugural 50 mile Ultra Trail Wales.
Still not sure? Don’t take our word for it, read some of the feedback from patients about how we have made a difference to their lives here. We have also created a range of symptom guides if you are suffering from running injuries, back pain, leg pain and more. Read our guides to help discover your first steps towards getting help.